Henry L. Levinger (1907-1998)
Henry L. Levinger was a lifelong Baker City resident and prominent businessman who owned Levinger Rexall Drug Store. Henry was born in Portland, Oregon on August 29, 1907 to Lyle and Louis Levinger. He was a 1925 Baker High School graduate, and attended Stanford University where he graduated Phi Beta Kappa with a bachelor’s degree in economics in 1928. He was then employed by the National Cash Register Co. in Gary, Indiana for four years.
He returned to Oregon in 1932 and within two years received a pharmacy degree with honors from Oregon State University. He worked in several different pharmacies before joining his father in business back in Baker. Henry’s mother died in 1935; his father five years later in 1940. Not long after, in 1942, Henry entered the US Army in at the rank of major. He was in charge of the Overseas Supplies Division for the San Francisco Port of Embarkation.
While in the service, he met Mary Wilson; they were married in Burlingame, California on June 11, 1944. They had two sons: Larry and Roger. In 1946 the couple returned to Baker City, where Henry operated the drugstore established 1898 by his father, Louis Levinger. Henry died on January 3, 1998.