Edward Schneider (b. 1937)
Dr. Edward Schneider was born on January 15, 1937 in Tacoma, Washington, where his father Leo Schneider was doing a medical residency. The family returned to Portland soon after he was born. Ed, his mother Rachel, and his sister Sandra moved in with his maternal grandfather Rabbi Joseph Fain when Ed was five years old and his father was called up to serve in the Second World War. Rabbi Fain’s house was on SW College Street in South Portland. Ed spent his first five years of schooling in that neighborhood, attending Shattuck Grammar School and Hebrew School at the Neighborhood House. He grew up attending services at Shaarie Torah, where his grandfather would lead services and give impassioned sermons in Yiddish each week. Ed had his bar mitzvah at Shaarie Torah.
When his father returned from the war, the family moved to Ladd’s Addition, where Ed finished his schooling at Abernathy Grammar School and Washington High School. He went on to the University of Oregon and then to the University of Oregon Medical School (now OHSU) in Portland. Ed met his wife while doing a residency in Salt Lake City before he was drafted into the Army during the Vietnam War. Their first child, Rebecca, was born in Berlin, where Ed was serving at the time. The family returned to the States so that he could complete a pathology residency at Fitzsimmons Hospital in Denver and then Ed was sent to Vietnam.